Skip to main content

Game Review: So to Speak

https://sotospeakgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/logo-1.png

Many years ago I was accidentally exposed to Japanese media, and fell in love. It felt new and fresh, with a variety of themes and topics that I didn't encounter much in stories I was used watching or reading, and spoke to me on an emotional level with stories and characters that resonated with how I felt, my life, my situation, and aspirations.

In the beginning the Japanese language was completely incomprehensible to me. I couldn't even distinguish which sounds I heard first and which I heard after. It was only after dozens if not hundreds of hours of listening to Japanese being spoken in those shows that I started to develop an ear for it, and ever since then I've wanted to study the language so that I could understand without subtitles, or read ahead in the manga, especially for series where the English translation had been discontinued, a desire that is in no way unique to me.

Over the decades I've started studying Japanese many times from books, apps, or other resources. I never managed to keep going for very long. No matter how much enthusiasm I had when I began each attempt, it soon fizzled out. No matter how gamified the language-learning apps were, they were still just language-learning apps. It was still some kind of classroom experience, and therefor not very fun or engaging, and the longer I kept it up, the more it felt like a chore I was forced to do rather than something I wanted to do.

Today, for the first time, I cam across a language-learning game. Not a gamified app, not educational software thinly disguised as a game, but something that actually felt like a game. A very simple and easy game, but still a game with a cozy and relaxing atmosphere that made me feel immersed in the experience. I only got to play the demo, as the full game isn't out yet. Here's a trailer:


When I reached the end of the demo, the only thing I wanted was to continue to the next screen. Despite the simplicity, it was that addictive, and that was with me playing on the Steam Deck, where the word objects I needed drag across the screen were too small for the touchscreen, and the touchpads were too small to do it comfortably without dropping the item I'm dragging. It was tedious, yet I enjoyed it and wanted more.

I do hope he does something to better support controllers and touchscreens, but I assume that if he does it would be in a post-release update as the developer has announced that the full game will release in the first quarter of 2025, so there isn't much time left.

With such a nice and simple concept, it would be nice if after the game's release he'd add more languages, perhaps as paid DLC. It would offer player more languages to learn, and would offer the developer more income as not only do different players wish to learn different languages, but the same player might want to learn more than one language.

Game links

Official web site

Steam store page 

YouTube channel

X account

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shame in K-Pop Demon Hunters

In K-Pop Demon Hunters (KPDH), patterns are a mark of demons, but what they mark is the shame that the demon feels. Rumi, as the child of a demon, also has marks. Throughout her life, these marks keep growing. When she was a small child, these marks were tiny: As she grew older, the marks kept growing: As she got closer and closer to the moment she was going to seal the Golden Honmun and supposedly get rid of her demon marks, the marks kept spreading, until they reached her throat, and she lost her voice: It was only when she was with Jinu, when she started to feel more at ease about having demon patterns, that her voice returned. But why were the marks growing in the first place? Rumi had nothing to be ashamed of. She never did anything wrong. She dedicated her life to protecting the world from the demons. It was Celine. Celine believed that having a demon for a father, that having demon patterns, was something to be ashamed of. Rumi originally didn't feel this way and wanted to s...

Game Review: Learn Japanese To Survive! Hiragana Battle

Following the previous game review, I bought several Japanese language-learning games on Steam and tried out a few of them. The one I ended up sticking with the most is Learn Japanese To Survive! Hiragana Battle. It's a cute game with mechanics that remind me of Chrono Trigger. When navigating the world map or inside a specific region, the player has a top-down view of the world and his character. Battles are turn-based with a side view. The story of the game is that an evil Japanese wizard has come to conquer your country by using Japanese-based magic, and the only way to counter this magic is by using Japanese yourself. A Japanese emissary teaches you the language, guides you on your journey, and fights as part of your team of four. The main challenge comes from fighting the Hiragana warriors, enemies that are characters in the Japanese. They are everywhere and you keep bumping into them, and the only way to damage them is by saying which character they are. That is the main dif...

Learning Japanese, Part 2

  It's been almost a year since I started my daily study of Japanese, and about 10 months since my previous post about it. So how's it going? Apps I ended up dropping almost all the apps due to them either being too restricted in the free tier, not fun enough, or not effective enough, or not having enough time and energy to do them in addition to the ones I felt to be part of my core routine. I'll focus here on the few that I do feel are part of the core routine, and the few extras that I feel are almost but not quite there. DuoLingo The main strong point with this app is how it gets me to consistently maintain my streak, which means maintaining a daily study habit. The way that it's gamified and the fact that it's very forgiving help me avoid falling off completely. It's also okay in terms of drills and introducing new vocabulary, but it feels very slow and based on doing repetitive exercises rather than giving instructions or moving forward with new material. ...